It’s been two weeks with two kids under two. The arrival of my second daughter, Liv Leone, has left me feeling grateful and blessed beyond words even in he midst of this newborn daze. It’s all there – joy, contentment, exhaustion. Everything you’d imagine and more from being a new family of 4. Honestly, I’d tape my eyes open if it meant I could stare at sweet little Liv longer. (Can we say obsessed? lol)
With my first born, Harper, it was energy and enlightenment and one big blur – I attribute a lot of the daze to the pain meds I had to be on. This time around, I wanted to note the things I don’t want to forget.
Here’s what I know so far:
- She looks like Harper – they have the same mouth and eyes, they were both born at 6 lb., 10 oz, 18” (am I the only one who thinks that’s a little creepy?), but Liv has Johnnie’s nose.
- She has to be woken up for feedings more often than not.
- She squeals and snorts in the most adorable melodic way. Think velociraptor meets angel. Lol
- It looks like her jaundice is getting better everyday.
- She has long fingers and toes. I’m excited she’ll be better off in heels than I am!
- When she cries I sing “Wheels on the Bus,” which is Harper’s favorite song going on 2 months now, and she stops immediately. I’m convinced it reminds her of familiar sounds she heard in utero. I hope the obsession doesn’t last as long as Harper’s is.
- She hated her first bath and hates getting wiped after she soils her diaper (reminder to use the wipe warmer again.)
- She loves to make eye contact and smile – even if it’s involuntary right now I love it.
- She smells so sweet, they need to make another name for baby’s breath because it’s so far off lol.
- She cannot stay awake in the car. She probably misses our 3-hour ride to and from work everyday.
- We got her out of the house (and Vita D for myself) on an outing to the park with her sis.
- She partook in her first photo shoot.
How is Harper adjusting you ask?
We made it a point to potty train her the two weeks I was on maternity leave right before her sister’s due date and boy has it paid off. She’s regressed a little in other areas, but has been potty-ing like a pro since the 3-day training program. She’s super eager to hold her sister, kiss her sister, hug her sister even if it’s the equivalent to a 300 lb bouncer manhandling Boo the Pomeranian lol. She’s only pinched Liv a handful of times and gauged her soft spot with her nails once.
I’m making a conscious effort to divide the time evenly and to be more present with Harper. It seems to be working so far and is getting easier each day. She still points to my belly and says “no more sister?” then points to her sister and says “there’s sister.” It’s the most adorable thing in the world. Another thing to note is she has developed at lightning speed when it comes to words and sentences within the two weeks. She adds new vocabulary every day and makes connecting phrases on her own. It’s absolutely nuts how quickly she is learning right now.
Liv’s check up has been expedited to later today due to her jaundice. Finger’s crossed, she’s gaining plenty of weight and has expelled the bilirubin naturally on her own.