I’ve been searching for the perfect Mauve for over a year and finally found one so today’s post is about it and how to choose the right one, my honest review about ColourPop Ultra Matte Lips and 5 of my must-have lip tones for even the most basic of makeup wearers.
*I am not sponsored by any of the brands listed and have not been compensated or received free products for my honest review.
The mauve trend has come and gone, but like a good pair of stilettos in the right shade it should be a force in your artillery. It adds a little ‘tude without being overpowering and can go with just about anything. I had the hardest time navigating the color and looking for the right shade. Now that I’ve found one, I’m sharing pointers on how you can too:
- If you’re fair to tan toned like me (I’m on the tan side), choose dark(er) – I picked based on what the lipsticks looked like on my wrist and in the tube rather than going with tones just darker than my lips. It’s a fatal mistake. What ends up happening is you wash yourself out with another nude.
- Peach, pink or purple undertones – Once you have wrapped your head around the fact it has to be darker than your lips, go with the hue that compliments your skin tone. I tend to lean to cool hues, so a purple or brown works well. Peach and pink go better with warm skin tones.
I tried a handful of Mac, Lancome and drugstore lipsticks and all washed me out. I went about it all wrong, per my first point above. (I never try them on my lips at the store, having worked at a cosmetics counter I won’t trust anyone to spray it with alcohol except for myself lol) It is just by sheer luck the one I picked online, ColourPop Beeper, was a match made in Heaven. It was a lot darker than expected so it took getting used to and a lot of mirror glances and selfies, but I’ve concluded it is the one. Knowing to choose darker now, I could probably find just as good or better ones with Mac or Lancome, but thankfully I don’t have to.
Now to my review about ColourPop Ultra Matte Lips. If you haven’t heard about the line, you’ve been living under a rock. In tons of affordable shades, the brand has skyrocketed in popularity from the likes of celebrities like Karrueche and Jaime King with whom they have collab collections with. They coin it as kiss-proof and long lasting.
- Price point at $6 a (colour) pop, it really positions itself against the other popular drugstore brands for a younger crowd on a budget.
- Packaging. The silver applicators and clear tubes look fun and glam in your makeup holder or on your vanity.
- Accessibility. My loot arrived within a week and there is no shipping cost in the US.
- It really is kiss-proof depending on who you ask. It will last all day on your lips, but see point below…
- It is dry which helps with the longevity of it. Some might be bothered that it isn’t moisturizing, but I didn’t mind it. I love that you can add gloss or lipstick if you need.
- Color choices are fun.
- Lip liner is unnecessary with a really, really steady hand.
- You can see how the color looks on different skin tones on the website.
- It smudges. A lot. Just ask my daughter’s neck and cheeks. (Or whoever you make out with lol)
- It’s impossible to remove. It stains. It’s biggest asset is its flaw. I’m going to get graphic here, but pieces of my lips were still colored the following day even though I tried to rub it off. For working women, I would refrain from using bright colors the night before a work day unless you want to look like you’re doing a “walk of shame” the entire next day lol. Save the brights for Friday’s/weekends.
- You need a steady hand. And although practice makes perfect, you might have to live with your mistake the entire day lol.
Overall rating: 4 out of 5. Definitely adding staple colors to my collection for rare special nights out.
Now the fun part.
From my heyday at the Lancome counter and endless opps to play with different lip colors in all sorts of materials (my 10,000 hours), I’ve compiled a list of 5 colors EVERY lady needs to have. Even the most basic and elementary of makeup wearers.
1. Mauve (duh) – perfect for day to night looks or those nights you want to be low-key in a super model type of way lol.
2. Red – stick to cool undertones to keep your teeth looking bright and white instead of yellow. Yes, those orange/pink reds are to blame for yellow-looking smiles.
3. Berry – I love seeing dark berry with red clothing. It’s also perfect to vamp-up a black outfit or high fashion a white one.
4. Bright and I mean BRIGHT Pink – again, stick to pinks with blue undertones. Bright pink is the perfect lead to a fun night out. And you’ll get tons of compliments.
5. Wine/Bordeaux – be cunning without being invisible. This is a power color that means business. It says I own the night.